Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cruising tip for the galley #1

      A common and reasonable concern for all cruisers is provisioning for long passages and for the unexpected. The best tip I ever read was "there is food everywhere you go".  Ok that makes sense, unless you want to get extremely literal and we are not going to do that. So in spite of the excellent, "there is food everywhere",  I have a tidbit of advice. If you are cruising to to Mexico or central or south america and you love to cook with coconut milk as I do, then bring it with you.  Unless of course you want to make it from scratch. Um... I 'm willing to learn but for the time being I want it ready to roll.

      Now I know most of you are thinking, what in the world is she talking about, she wants me to take coconut milk to the land of coconuts, loony. Well to my great disappointment there is coconut milk to be found but it is all sweetened, the kind of awful honey colored syrupy stuff that you would use to make an umbrella drink. Now I am not condemning colorful cocktails with cute adornments, I just don't want that crap in my curry or my peanut sauce or my carrot soup, etc. 
      Had I known before I left San Diego for Cabo, I would have filled the foc'sle with cans of coconut milk. I must say it is probably fortunate I didn't know because we were surely short on space to begin with. I have recently discovered that in some asian markets they sell packets of powdered coconut milk.  They are brilliant as they don't take up nearly the amount of space as a can and weigh much less. Never mind the fact that if you are an obsessive compulsive, and fear that you might need 50 or 60 of them to get you through all of your asian cooking impulses, they are less expensive than cans and a heck of a lot easier to hide from your hubby. 

* Directions for milking a coconut can be found online.

5 Comments:

Chrisy said...

...loved your comment 'the kind of syrupy stuff that you would use to make an umbrella drink'!...haven't heard that one before!...yes the powdered sounds like the way to go...
Sailing...south america...ahhh...am living vicariously thro you!

Mike said...

I always take coconut milk on a voyage. But what I can't get where I live is lemon grass - give me a tip for growing it on a boat and I''l love you forever!

Watty said...

Funny you mentioned this, I was looking at some coconut juice earlier this afternoon at Big lots (of all places) and it had little nibbles of coconut floating in it. Reminded me of my moms occasional drink she gets at the asian market (ick!!)

eeniemoni said...

great blog. I'm adding you to my faves.

G said...

believe it or not I never thought of cooking with C milk before... what a great idea! We'll have to look into that. Thanks for another great post!

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online